My Favorite Lighter Dessert for Summertime Gatherings: Sherbet Cake Recipe
August 30, 2019
By Kay MacInnis, Registered Dietitian at Providence Health
Print a downloadable version here.
My parents have said many times that as you get older time moves faster, and I have discovered they are telling the truth!
Summer is going by so fast and there are so many things I didn’t get to…like spending enough time at the beach or on the lake. I haven’t even had my favorite all-time favorite summertime dessert, yet!
I can’t let the summer go by without serving this at least one time, so it will be on the menu for the Sunday night gathering at my house. Yes, there is a little sugar and a few calories, but it is a dessert. And on the plus side, there are a few of those anti-inflammatory flavanols in the dark chocolate!!
Happy Labor Day weekend from Providence Health! Enjoy good company and good food, and of course, a toast to good health!
Watermelon Sherbet Cake
- 1 pint lime sherbet, slightly softened
- 1½ pint raspberry sherbet, slightly softened
- ¼ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a serving bowl with plastic wrap.
- Spoon lime sherbet into the bowl, smoothing it out to be ½-inch thick along the sides, making the watermelon rind.
- Place bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes or until hardened.
- Stir the chocolate chips evenly into the raspberry sherbet.
- Scoop the raspberry sherbet into the sherbet shell, smoothing off and leveling the top.
- Return bowl to the freezer until hardened.
- To serve, invert the bowl onto a serving plate. Lift off bowl and remove plastic wrap.
- Freeze again for 1 hour if the sherbet is too soft. Slice to get the impact of watermelon slice!
Yield: 8 servings
Nutritional analysis: 1 serving (½ cup) equals 205 calories, 4 grams fat, 8 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 43 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams protein.
Join Kay MacInnis, Registered Dietitian, for her monthly award-winning Providence Cooks! cooking classes in Columbia, SC. The class tackles various dietary hurdles by creating, with her team of chefs, a multi-course gourmet meal that promotes health and fits within dietary restrictions. All guests enjoy the healthy sit-down meal with live Q&A from Kay, the chefs, and other special health expert guests. It's a must-try for people interested in healthy eating without losing the flavor and joy of eating.