Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness Information Learn More
Healthy Holiday Appetizers
December 19, 2019
We are counting down to the BIG day! It is only 5 days left until Christmas day; can you believe that? Even though the holiday season is joyous, that doesn’t mean it is joyous for everyone. With the multiple invitations, financial responsibilities, and other commitments, it can be a lot of added stress. Also, with the holiday season comes holiday parties, and my #1 rule is to NEVER show up empty-handed. The only problem is time can quickly slip away from you! Here is a quick, easy, and tasty holiday appetizer to take to different holiday gatherings over the next few weeks. Don’t worry, with the avocados and walnuts it’s still healthy! (We’ll keep that our little secret). Check out the benefits of having both in your diet.
Benefits of Walnuts
- Rich in antioxidants
- Super plant source of Omega-3s
- May decrease inflammation
- Promote a healthy gut
- May reduce the risk of some cancers
- Supports weight control by helping with appetite
- May play a role in diabetes and blood pressure control
Benefits of Avocados
- Excellent source of potassium
- Loaded with monounsaturated fat
- Good source of fiber
- May help lower cholesterol and triglyceride level
- Lots of nutrients such as Vitamin K, Folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin B5 &B6, magnesium copper, iron, zinc, phosphorus
- An antioxidant source that may play a role in eye health
- Plays a role in cancer treatment and prevention
Miniature avocado toast
- 1 whole-grain baguette sliced
- 4 large avocados ripe
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup feta crumbled
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 2 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning
Toast baguette slices at 350 degrees for 7 minutes or until crisp.
Cut avocados in half, remove the pit and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Add lime juice and mash with a fork.
Spread avocado on each toast slice.
Top with crumbled feta, chopped walnuts, and everything bagel seasoning.
Nutrition Information: Calories: 105, 7 gm fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 9g Carbohydrates, 2g protein, 84mg sodium