A Healthier Super Bowl Dish
January 31, 2020
It’s Super Bowl time and most of us will probably we busy this weekend! People love this event, but I’m not sure it’s because of football. A large part of this event is the food on game day. My challenge during Super Bowl parties is to come up with something that I can quietly slide onto the table on the healthier side. Hosting a party where you have to food patrol is not so fun, so I try to come up with some options that are on the healthy side without making it noticeable but also something everyone can enjoy.
Using some old tricks and coming up with some new options is always my road map for planning out my menu. When thinking about ways to improve the nutrition profile without comprising the taste, I usually end up using low-fat cream cheese or Neuchatel cream cheese. Greek yogurt is also a great substitute as well because it’s an excellent source of protein! Another great option for lower-fat cheese is the part-skim mozzarella. Cutting out any additional salt, when you have products that naturally have sodium in them, can also improve the nutrition profile.
Try this recipe! I love to share this with my family, and they never even notice that is has been modified.
Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 2 thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 2 cups cooked and shredded boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Carrots, celery, and crackers for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray and 8x8 baking dish or 9 inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the softened cream cheese, yogurt, buffalo sauce, buttermilk powder, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Fold in the green onions, chicken, 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, and 2 tablespoons of the blue cheese.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish or cast iron skillet and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and top with the remaining blue cheese crumbles and more green onions if desired. Serve immediately with carrots, celery, or crackers.
Nutrition Information: 199 calories, 7 gm fat, 3 mg cholesterol, 62 mg sodium, 5gm carbohydrate, 28 gm protein
Recipe source: https://reciperunner.com/skinny-buffalo-chicken-dip/