Putting it all together: Mushroom Cabernet Linguine over Wilted Spinach
February 10, 2017
By Kay MacInnis, Registered Dietitian
Heart Month is a great time to revamp our eating habits, exercise and stress management routines. To decrease our risks for heart disease and stroke, we need to incorporate all these habits into our daily lives:
The American Heart Association urges us to eat color, eat smart, be well, and move.
Make sure your food is naturally colorful. Eat smart – not depriving yourself, but making the best choices you can. Actively work at being well – take time to balance work and life, learn how to manage your stress and finally, move more. Take extra steps during the day, go for a walk after work, take an exercise class.
Studies show that adopting all four of these healthy habits can decrease the risk of a coronary event by 86%. So during Heart Month, set some goals and put it all together!
Mushroom Cabernet Linguine over Wilted Spinach
Ingredients for linguine:
- 12 ounces whole-wheat linguine pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- ½ cup Cabernet
- 1 16-ounce package baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- Cook pasta in a large pot of water until al dente, according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots and mushrooms for 2 minutes, add garlic mushrooms.
- Add in the wine and reduce by half.
- Add chicken stock and pasta.
- Let the mixture continue cooking for additional minute to boil down, then remove from heat and serve over wilted spinach.
Ingredient for wilted spinach:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound baby spinach, triple washed, stems removed
- Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil and garlic.
- Sauté garlic in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach.
- Fill the pan with leaves and turn leaves in warm oil until they wilt.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
Nutrition Information: 1 cup serving size: 274.25 Calories, 8.4 grams fat, 0 mg. chol, 43.6 grams carbohydrate, 8.4 grams protein, 376 mg. sodium.
NOTE: This is one of our Providence Cooks! recipes. It is a recipe that Chef Brandon developed for our class. It is actually an amazing process to watch and be part of, taking healthy ingredients that you would not think of putting together and coming up with something that tastes great! Try this recipe as a side item, or even topped with grilled shrimp or chicken as an entree. It is really easy and pretty quick to prepare!
This is another in a weekly series of healthy recipes from Kay MacInnis, registered dietitian at Providence Health in Columbia, S.C.
Kay promotes health and wellness, helping cardiac and diabetes patients eat their way to healthier lives. She works in consultation with the trained chefs at Providence, combining her nutrition knowledge with their food prep know-how to create delicious, healthy dishes for patients and the public. She also conducts a number of health and wellness events for the public, including the monthly Providence Cooks! classes.
"She doesn't just give you the fish, she teaches you how to cook it."
– a Kay MacInnis fan and Providence Cooks! regular.