What is a Sleep Study?
A Sleep Study, also called a polysomnography, is an interactive, non-invasive, overnight evaluation in which your sleep habits are monitored by sleep specialists and high-level diagnostic tools to identify concerning sleep problems or physiological patterns.
To request a Sleep Study be covered by your insurance program, have your doctor fill out this form.
A sleep study can identify:
- Problems breathing during sleep such as Sleep Apnea
- Frequent involuntary limb movement such as Restless Leg Syndrome
- Uncontrollable sleeping such as Narcolepsy
- Disrupted deep sleep REM from Overactive Dreaming
- Unusual sleep behaviors like Sleepwalking, Sleep-eating, or excessive Sleep-talking
- Trouble falling or staying asleep from Chronic Insomnia
During the sleep study, you will be connected to equipment to monitor the events going on in your brain and your body.
A sleep study monitors:
- Sleep stages and REM cycles with an EEG monitor
- Eye movements
- Blood oxygen levels
- Heart rates
- Breathing rates
- Behavior such as snoring, talking, walking, and leg/arm movement
In order to monitor your "normal" sleep behavior, our sleep study labs are specifically designed to mimic "normal" sleeping conditions, including a quiet, dark room with a comfortable bed similar to a four-star hotel.
Before retiring for the night's sleep, our specialists will place sensors on your head and body in away that still allows you plenty of room to move comfortably in bed. You will also be shown how easy it is to go to the bathroom during the night in your sleep study.
If sleep apnea is determined early in the study, you may be fit for a C-PAP machine during this session. If further review is needed, you may be asked for a follow up session for the fitting after the apnea is confirmed.
Once the sleep study is complete, your results will be shared with your physician so that he or she can participate in the diagnosis and help develop the best treatment plan.
Providence Health Sleep Disorder Center
Two Convenient and Comfortable Sleep Labs
- 1655 Bernardin Ave, Suite 350-A, Columbia, SC 29204 - phone: (803) 799-8803
- 114 Gateway Corp Blvd. Suite 110, Columbia, SC 29203 - phone: (803) 865-4658
Providence Health has sleep lab locations near each of its hospital campuses. Both of these sleep labs in Columbia, SC, provide a comfortable setting and supported by skilled technologists so that you can get trustworthy results, accurate readings, and reliable diagnoses.
If you are concerned about your sleeping behaviors or the sleep habits of a loved one, download this form and bring it to the doctor to request a referral for a sleep study.
Sleep Study Order
To request a Sleep Study covered by your insurance program, have your doctor fill out this form.
Sleep Lab Locations
1655 Bernardin Ave, Suite 350-A
Columbia, SC 29204
ph: (803) 799-8803
114 Gateway Corp Blvd. Suite 110
Columbia, SC 29203
ph: (803) 865-4658